Madison Area Communities
Madison and the University of Wisconsin–Madison are located in Dane County, an area of 1,230 square miles that boasts some of the most beautiful scenery in Wisconsin. Dane County’s rich geologic history has created thousands of miles of streams and more than 38 lakes.
The eastern part of the county is glaciated and has a landscape of low rolling hills with intermittent moraines. The western part lies in the driftless (non-glaciated) region and has steep sloping valleys, ridgetops, rock outcroppings, and narrow valley bottoms, making its scenery some of the most beautiful in the state.
Madison makes many lists
• #2 in Top 100 Best Places to Raise a Family—Children’s Health
• The Top Ten Places to Buy a Home—ABC News
• Nation’s 10 Top Metros for Income Growth—Bizjournals
• Most Unique American Cities & Towns—Newsmax
• One of the Top 10 Best Green Large Cities—Country Home
Around Madison are many communities that provide high-quality small-town living within a short commute to the campus. Among them are Middleton, Monona, Waunakee, Verona, Westport, Oregon, Fitchburg, Cottage Grove, Sun Prairie, and Windsor, among others.